Posted By: Jeff G
- verified customer
5 people found this review helpfulI happen to have a soft spot for underdogs and underrated performers. This knife is now my favorite, go-to, do-everything knife in a stable of about a dozen knives, including a few high-end competitors. The most amazing thing about this knife is how much performance you get per dollar spent. I just love that it is so inexpensive, homely, and unassuming, yet can do so much.
It is not a knife for 95% of the people out there (the number might be higher - I am being generous) who don't know and don't care about taking care of a knife to appreciate its value and what it can do. The fact that this knife has a carbon steel core that will rust and discolor for 95% of its potential users means that only the remaining 5% of us can really appreciate it.
Out of the box it was very decently sharp - surprisingly so. Nevertheless I HAD TO tweak it at 15 degrees on my Edge Pro with Shapton waterstones (up to 8 K, from CKTG, of course). I may go further next time, but for now 8K is plenty good enough. A final strop on leather and chromium oxide and it is ready to go.
I love the large, wooden D-shaped handle - very different tactile sensation from all the other laminated, impregnated, flat wood slab handles on my other knives. Not necessarily a uniquely better handle, just a new and satisfying experience. The rough finished wood handle is a pleasure to grip in my big mitts.
As much as I liked the look of the rustic black finish along the upper half of the knife as-built, I subsequently removed the finish with 400 grit silicon carbide sandpaper and metal polish. This was purely practical - the rough black finish meant that the knife would not easily slide out of the plastic Edge Guard protector I use for this and all my knives. Now it goes into and out of the guard with little effort, and slides lengthwise through boneless chicken breasts to easily make 3 or 4 thin slices.
Very nice! If you love knives, appreciate a great value for the buck, and aren't afraid to do some carbon-steel knife care along the way, this is a great bargain.
Was this rating helpful to you? Yes No